Developer tools are such a powerful suite of tools that knowing how to use them it is an essential skill for a web developer.
For example those tools allow you to easily track down the cause of an issue or even find bugs. Something that would have taken hours to be discovered and fixed, without using these tools, with the developer tools takes only minutes or even seconds.
A good example is fixing issues and problems with the CSS. However this is only one simple example. The developer tools have much more useful capabilities. These tools will save you a lot of frustration and time as you develop your websites.
Although they have too much to offer, it isn’t hard to learn how to use them. At first it might feel clunky but as you use them you will become more comfortable using them. All it needs is some practice and you will be ok!
- Open the developer tools in your browser.
- Select a specific HTML element on your page with your browser’s developer tools.
- Use developer tools to experiment with the CSS on specific elements of a web page.
- Some tips and tricks by Halim Boussaada
- Watch the next video that goes over the most useful features of the Chrome DevTools in some detail.
Duration: 11 minutes
- Watch the next awesome tutorial from LearnCode.academy on how to use developer tools effectively when working with your CSS. As you will see it talks a bit about Bootstrap. Don’t worry if you don’t know about it yet. Just check out the stuff he’s doing to CSS in the DevTools. In particular, editing CSS in the browser in real time is a huge productivity boost compared to using a text editor and constantly refreshing to see your changes.
Duration: 12 minutes
Take a 10 to 15 minutes break and then complete the following interactive tutorials:
Complete the following interactive tutorial to learn the basics of viewing and changing a page’s DOM using Chrome DevTools: Get Started With Viewing And Changing The DOM
Complete the following interactive tutorial to learn the basics of viewing and changing a page’s CSS using Chrome DevTools: Get Started With Viewing And Changing CSS
Here’s video showing how you can use the Code Coverage and spot unused CSS:
Duration: 5 minutes
There’s a nice setting in the Developer Tools (Chrome/Brave) that disables caching while the DevTools are open.
- watch this Google Chrome Developer Tool Crash Course If you want to know more